Tuesday, March 13, 2012

First Surgery....and Strep Throat!!!

EARLY on Friday March 2nd, Mr. B had tubes put in both ears and his adenoids removed.  He had fluid in his ears for several months, had been snoring, restless at night and just not sleeping well.  We arrived at 5:45 am to be checked into the surgery center and he was not a happy camper not having had anything to eat or drink since the night before but he was easily distracted playing in the waiting area.

 
Good Morning!!

Where is Puppy?

WHAT IS THIS THING?!?!?

A little light reading to pass the time


HEY....why is this cup EMPTY?!?!?!

Daddy...why do we have to be here?

This is NOT a fun place!

Which way to the exit?
    
Please, can we just go home!!

We headed back to the pre-op room around 6:15 am. The nurse prepped him and took his temperature...no fever, so he was good to go! The anesthesiologist came in and informed us about his process and what to expect. Mr. B was going to need a breathing tube so Dr. H could look at the adenoids to decide if they should come out.  At 7 am I handed off my baby with his puppy to a nurse and away he went....TEARS IN MY EYES!!!  I was a nervous wreck the entire time....that feeling started about 5:05 pm the night before!!  At 7:10 am the nurse notified us that Dr. H was going to remove the adenoids and it would be a couple more minutes.  Another nurse came and got us at 7:15 am and gave us some post-op information and explained they start IV's on all children just in case and gave him some pain medication also.  7:20 am the doctor told us everything went great, answered our questions and stated that Mr. B was the calmest little guy he has ever done surgery on....he didn't make a peep AT ALL.  At 7:30 the recovery nurse called for us ....as the door opened I heard him crying...I could not get to him fast enough...WHAT HAD THEY DONE TO MY BABY?!?!  The IV was still in the top of his foot, and he was still feeling funny from the surgery.  We watched a little Elmo on the Kindle before they let us go home. 


Finally...something to drink!!

STOP taking pictures....I don't feel good!!

We were so happy to have it done and be home before 8 am. They didn't lie when they told us it wouldn't take long....THANK GOODNESS as my mommy heart could not take much more... also when people told me that it would be harder on me then him...THEY WERE TOTALLY CORRECT!!  Mr. B drank a little juice and took a nap after an unfortunate yogurt incident...I'll spare you the details... He woke a happy little boy and played the rest of the day.


Snuggling with Daddy is what the Doctor ordered

Pounce on Daddy Time

A new car to race
  All Saturday Mr. B was really clingy and not himself....we had been told that he would be back to "normal" by the day after his surgery.  Sunday we all tried to rest.  By that evening I had a really bad sore throat and could not sleep.  Monday I did my best to take care of Mr. B and myself as there was NO WAY I was able to leave the house. When Casey came home in the early afternoon...I cried...someone was home to take care of us!!! The surgery center called to see how he was doing, I explained that he had a runny nose, was drooling a lot,  not drinking his bottle or eating, and just not himself....I was told  "he is just teething" WHAT ?....GRRRR...thanks for the help!


Thank you for my balloon "Aunt" Janet

Tuesday I dropped Mr. B off at daycare as he seemed to be on the mend and  made a doctor's  appointment for myself as this was NOT JUST A COLD...confirmed it was Strep Throat!  I took Mr. B to the doctor also because of  his symptoms all weekend.  I asked the gals at daycare how he was and they said he had a great day. Dr. S thought the redness in his throat was from the drainage from his procedures but would swab him just to be sure.  She came in and said " I guess Mom knows best...POSITIVE for Strep"!!  She had tested 10 kids before Mr. B and all negative. She thought maybe there was something wrong with the swabs.   HOORAY my kid won the STREP TEST JACKPOT!!  We are both feeling TONS better and Mr. B is sleeping through the night again.

  I hope to never have to go through any of that again!



No comments:

Post a Comment